Tuesday 4 December 2012

preliminary evaluation

Media preliminary evaluation



What went well:
  • 1.                   The tilting shot
  • 2.                   And the continuity of the opening door
  • 3.                   And the 180 rule


Even better if:
  • 1.                   Some of the shots were jumpy (not edited well)
  • 2.                   Acting could be better
  • 3.                   The pace of him walking to the door


The things that went well with my preliminary task were that there was a good tilting shot used at the beginning. It gives you a sight of what the actors costume is and the way they are walking. It also built some tension because of the pace the actor was walking and it was tilting up slow. Also at the beginning there was a continuity shot where is showed the actor holding the door handle, and then it changing to him entering the room. This was a good shot because it was executed well and showed how good editing was at points. The 180 rule was used well in this exercise because we done it well and it showed both actors at the right angle. It gave me experience when I am doing my filming. And it showed me how important that rule is in the filming process.

Some of the shots used weren’t edited well enough because it didn’t flow well and some bits were a little jumpy. It made it look unprofessional and that is an aspect were I would need to improve my filming. I could improve this by filming more and editing it better. Also the acting wasn’t that good and we could have made our lines better. Also there was background noise and we could record the voices and sync it in when I am editing. This could resolve my issue because the sound would be clear and would have no background noise. Also when the actor was walking to the door the pace he was walking to the door was unrealistic, and the acting could have been better.  There was a point where the actor walked inside the room and I tried to follow him in the classroom with the camera. And that shot could have been improved because it wasn’t smooth and looked unnatural, I was trying to imitate someone is in the room and is watching it. Also the filming looked unnatural and it was hard to feel how the actors were feeling. And it was hard to understand what was happening for the audience, so for this reason i think we should have planned what we were doing better. And we should of used different shots and try something new. The story line was a little boring so yes in the future i will try and be more creative.

I could improve the shots I use by selecting the right shots and planning it on my storyboard. And also writing up a shot list can help me a lot because it organises my shots and I know what to do when I am filming. It also makes my production more professional because it flows well and this will improve my grade and production. This helped me in my preliminary because I knew how I was going to film my shots and where it was going to take place. This made the editing easier and therefore made my production better.  Although I needed to put more detail on my storyboard and shot list because at points I had to think about it because it wasn’t planned.

Overall the exercise went well and I learnt from my mistakes and how I can improve my filming. I learnt some new techniques when I am filming. Acting plays a big part in the production of the programme because the audience want to feel and understand what is happening. Also the editing could have been better because at points the clip didn’t flow and I could do this better in the future. I could have recorded more because it would have made it easier to edit it later.

1 comment:

  1. Level 2: D
    WWW: You’ve clearly looked at your own video in some detail and have a strong idea of how it could have been improved.
    EBI: Your written English and essay writing worries me – I’d like this piece of writing to be far more organised and less repetitive. Planning your writing will help, as will a clear reference to the brief at the beginning. In general, you need to focus in on a few aspects and analyse them in detail to move up to the higher levels – saying you need to ‘film more and edit better’ is not telling me nearly enough. How? Why? Detail!
    LR: You haven’t mentioned your pre-production materials. What did you learn about storyboards and shot-lists? HOW will you make the real thing better? What do you need to do to improve your storyboard/shot-list for the real thing?

    ReplyDelete